Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight


Short Bio about Aryo Bagus

I was born in Surabaya, Indonesia 26 years ago; I am the oldest from three siblings in my family. I received my college degree; a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from UNESA (Surabaya State University) in 2008. I had works in several positions in several companies such as Call Center officer at P.T Telkomsel, direct salesman at Telkom Speedy etc. Beside that I am also an owner of a small business in merchandising and promoter, which called ABSURD PRODUCTION start from 2005

My interests are broad and varied. For example, while in high school I participated in several youth organization in my country who had work for the government in developing education for left behind people, while I’m in college, me and my friend established an organization which called ”Sewing Machine” which meant to help the community with volunteer activities. I am also a member of “Surabaya art movement” which helps the local artist in my city to develop and keep the local arts from the extinction.

Why is volunteering important to you?

Volunteering is a part of Indonesian culture that we called “GotongRoyong”, and from this activity I wanted to improve human quality of life, but I am also volunteering for my own skill development, to meet others, to have fun while helping others. Volunteerism is the act of selflessly giving our life to something we believe free of pay, because in my belief if we help each other without expecting back, GOD will give you better value in our future.

What is the lasting impression I would like to leave here in the U.S.?

I want to be a good representation for people in my country; I like to show that our people are hard worker and have the same voluntary culture like here in U.S, and I wanted to give back what U.S has given to my from this scholarship by doing voluntary services, so I can help to improve the community quality of life.

What will I do when I return home?

I wanted to apply my knowledge that I get here in the U.S to expand my business, meanwhile I am also will help to serve the community just like I have did in here, and through this volunteer program I really like to share the real meaning of volunteer just like what I’ve learn from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment