Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight

Recently here at HandsOn Central Ohio we created a partnership with Columbus State Community College, Community College Initiative program (CCI). Our collaboration has been effective in allowing us to partner with their extraordinary students. We are excited to do a Volunteer Spotlight on Dimas Firdaus, who has been a wonderful volunteer to our projects.

To learn more about the CCI program visit www.cscc.edu




“If my life was filmed, I believe it will be an adventurous musical-comedy theme.” –Dimas Firdaus

Dimas Firdaus recently participated in two volunteer projects where his enthusiastic personality was contagious! The two projects were at the Godman Guild (Make a Difference Day) and at LifeCare Alliance (Meal Sorting).

Why is Volunteering important to you?

Being a volunteer is the easiest way of saying ‘thank you’ for whatever we have. The benefits of volunteering are great both for us, our family and our community.

I see volunteering as a great way to gain new friends, reach out to the community, and expand networks. When a person volunteers they will have the opportunity to practice important skills used in the workplace such as teamwork, communication, problem solving, project planning, task management, and organization. Besides all of that, volunteering is fun!

What is the lasting impression you would like to leave here in the U.S.?

There is no doubt that I possessed an enormous proud and respect to my beloved country, Indonesia. I want to leave the richness of Indonesian culture, the pleasant attitude and behavior of Indonesian people.

It was my goal to introduce the harmony and diversities of Indonesia, to obliterate the awful reputation of Indonesia and to strengthen the friendship and to also spread the spirit of mutual understanding.

Indonesia is the world’s largest archipelago with over 17,000 islands. Few countries in the world could match Indonesia’s diversity of population with some 490 different ethnic beliefs and religions living together. With a fascinating, colorful and sometimes tumultuous past, Indonesia is a place of rich and diverse culture as known as the ultimate in diversity. I am very enthused to spread the fact of harmony and the unanimity of Indonesia. I and my smile will be an instrument to prove it.

What will you do when you return home?

I will utilize the skills, knowledge, and experiences that I have gained to better my country. Serving here in the U.S. has giving me an opportunity to broaden my horizon, prepare me to be a better man, and it has enabled me to be an agent of change for a better society.


No comments:

Post a Comment