Monday, September 26, 2011


Volunteer Spotlight

Meet Riccia!

My name is Riccia; I am part of a prestigious organization called Phi Nu Kappa Sorority Incorporated. My organization is based on service, leadership, and sisterhood. I am very involved within my sorority and uphold our vow to serve our community. On May 2011, I graduated from Eastern Mennonite University with my Bachelors degree in Nursing. I traveled to Honduras directly after graduation and studied there for 6 weeks for my “cross cultural experience”. Eventually I want to pursue a Masters degree in Nursing and become a Nurse Practitioner specializing in Women’s Health or Neo-Natal.

How did you hear about HandsOn Central Ohio?

I have been involved with HandsOn Greater Richmond for quite some time. However, since I currently reside am in Ohio I took the liberty to search for HandsOnCentral Ohio. I was really excited and relieved to see that there was a location in my area. It is extremely convenient and has a variety of opportunities to get involved in.

Which projects have you worked on?

Being that I’ve only been back in the area for a month I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of some projects related to the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I was also involved in Ronald McDonald House. I honestly look forward to continuing to work on various types of projects. All of the leaders are awesome and it’s been great getting to know everyone.

We had several projects for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 this year and you were at most of them! Tell us about the projects and what made you want to get so involved.

Some of the projects I was involved in from the 10th anniversary of 9/11 was the set-up, organizing, and taking down of 2,999 flags in commemoration of the lives lost. These were three separate events. As I previously mentioned, I was also involved in maintenance of the Ronald McDonald House. My goal was to donate 10 hours to represent the 10 year anniversary. I remember when 9/11 occurred and the immediate impact it had on our nation. I felt the need and want to give back to honor those families who lost loved ones.

Aside from volunteering, how else do you spend your free time?

I spend my free time reading, journaling, listening to various genres of music, spending time with my 12 nieces and nephews, I am very family oriented. I am adventurous so I enjoy going to the park and traveling. I haven’t had much free time with my field of study so I look forward to doing things I enjoy and have neglected for several years.

What advice would you give someone who is looking to get involved with one of our projects?

Just go for it!! HandsOn is a wonderful organization to be a part of. The projects and the leaders are enjoyable; they get to know YOU as a person. The feeling after the project is the most rewarding, knowing that you volunteered your time and gave back.


No comments:

Post a Comment