Monday, August 15, 2011


Volunteer Spotlight

Suneil is a summer intern at HandsOn Central Ohio, as well as an active volunteer and active student at Gahanna Lincoln High School. Read on to learn more about the many sides of Suneil!


Tell us about yourself.

I am a senior at Gahanna Lincoln High School. When I was little, my parents always talked to me about the importance of giving back to the community, and since then, I’ve always tried to make a little difference in the world. Currently, I am a volunteer at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and am a member of Key Club and National Honors Society. Also, I founded a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization called “Music of the Heart” (www.musicoftheheart.us) . This summer I am interning with HandsOn Central Ohio in the Community Engagement Department.


How did you hear about HandsOn Central Ohio?

This spring, I was looking for an internship opportunity. I kept on Googling different organizations and came across HandsOn Central Ohio. With my love for volunteering and HandsOn Central Ohio’s wonderful mission, I thought it would be a perfect match!


Which projects have you worked on?

So far, I have attended “Clean the Ronald McDonald House” and “Arts Night at Traditions at Stygler Road”. All HandsOn Central Ohio projects are so much fun and very fulfilling. The projects are a great way to socialize with other volunteers and make a difference in the community.


Describe your role in the HandsOn office and how it is different than the projects.
As an intern in the Community Engagement department I, in short, help recruit and connect volunteers with community service opportunities around Central Ohio. Through our great website, volunteers can use the Project Calendar to find high impact, flexible, community service projects around the Central Ohio.


Aside from volunteering, how else do you spend your free time?

For approximately 14 years I have been playing the violin and am a member of the Columbus Symphony Youth Orchestra. Music is one of my favorite hobbies. In addition, I like playing tennis, skiing, and eating!


What advice would you give someone who is looking to get involved with one of our projects?
Just dive right in! Volunteering is a great way to meet individuals from all different walks of life and engage in meaningful work. In fact, studies have shown that people who volunteer tend to have better health, are less stressed, and have a happier outlook on life. Most importantly, volunteering is fun! Through HandsOn Central Ohio’s website, volunteers can find community service projects that fit their needs---there’s something for everyone! Whether you are available in the day or night, or whether you want to volunteer with the children or the elderly, HandsOn Central Ohio will have the right match for you!


What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years?

I hope to have graduated from a good college, have a great job, and still volunteer a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment